1953 – 1962
In 1952 “Lardy” Pyke accepted the headmastership and he wasted no time in trying to improve the tone of the school. Work began on the building of the War Memorial Classroom Block and the noted Old Boy benefactor, WR Glasson, was invited to lay the memorial stone. Headmaster Pyke arranged for the boys to have their IQ tested, established a “writing room” for the boarders, upgraded seating in the Assembly Hall (Prescott Hall) and employed the College’s first full-time Chaplain, Rev John S “Chips” Woodhouse. His appointment was initially met with disapproval from some members of the conservative local church due to the fact that he rode a motorcycle and his wife even wore lipstick!