TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THE NEWINGTON COLLEGE EXCHANGE PROGRAM
FOR INCOMING EXCHANGE STUDENTS
Parents or legal guardians of students selected for the Newington College Exchange Program are required to familiarise themselves with these Terms and Conditions and sign the document to indicate that they undertake to adhere to the terms and conditions. We trust that this will be an enriching experience for your son and that this document will serve further to clarify Newington’s and your commitment towards this Exchange Program.
1. Your son is expected to conform to the rules and expectations at Newington as set out in the school’s Code of Conduct.
ACCOMMODATION AND UNIFORM
2. Your son will be accommodated by a Newington host family. Such accommodation includes all the duties which the family could reasonably be expected to undertake for their own child.
3. You agree to allow the host family and Newington College to act in loco parentis for the duration of the exchange program.
4. Your son is a guest in the home of his Newington host family and it is expected that he observe the rules of her host family, no matter what his own family permits. (The same applies to the Newington student when staying with his host family). House rules should be discussed before the arrival of either party. (See paragraph 15 as to protocol in the case of conflict about house rules.)
5. The exchange student should not get himself into dangerous or compromising situations. The host family will advise him on this and the exchange student must understand that if his host family seems over-anxious, it is because his safety is of primary concern to them.
6.Your son should bring sufficient money with him to cover expenses that the host family would not be expected to cover, i.e. pocket money and money for the various excursions arranged by Newington. Please negotiate these aspects (if necessary) with the Newington host family prior to your child’s departure.
7. Your son will be required to wear the Newington uniform during his time at the College. Your son should bring with him, white shirts, grey or black socks and a pair of black leather shoes. With the assistance of the host family, your son will be provided with trousers, a pullover and a blazer (if available) from the second hand uniform shop. At the end of the exchange, you are responsible for returning lent clothing items back to your host family, who will then return them to the College.
ACADEMIC AND EXTRA-CURRICULAR REQUIREMENTS
8. This is essentially a school exchange and attending classes is the central aspect of your son’s stay. He will be required to attend classes in different subjects, to contribute to academic lessons and to fulfill the requirements of those subjects, including homework and assignments.
9. He will be expected to participate in co-curricular and cultural activities offered by Newington College.
10. Your son must have comprehensive travel insurance which fully covers medical expenses.
11. Newington College will not be held liable for any disease or injury sustained whilst your son is on exchange in Australia, nor will the College be held responsible for any damage to or loss of personal property.
12. Should your son suffer from any illness requiring daily medication, the Newington exchange coordinator must be made aware of this and sufficient medication in its original packaging must accompany your son. In addition, detailed treatment information must be provided in the event that your son becomes ill. Kindly complete and return the medical form.
COMMUNICATION WITH NEWINGTON COLLEGE
13. Your son will be required to make contact with the Newington College Exchange Coordinator via email on a weekly basis during the exchange.
14. Should you as a parent be unhappy with any aspect of the exchange program, you are requested to liaise directly with the Exchange Coordinators at your son’s school and at Newington College.
15. If your son should find his host family’s house rules unreasonable, he should discuss this confidentially with the Newington Exchange Coordinator who will mediate.
TERMINATION OF EXCHANGE
16. The Headmaster at Newington College reserves the right to terminate the exchange should an exchange student behave in a manner not acceptable to the College. This will be done in consultation with the Head of your son’s school.
17. We agree that drinking alcohol and taking non-prescription drugs will result in immediate termination of the exchange, as will sexual promiscuity (as determined by the school and host school).
18. Newington College accepts no liability for any costs incurred should an exchange be terminated.